In any supermarket the shelves are stacked high with ready mixed cooking sauces in jars. They are very convenient and that’s why millions of jars are sold every day.
The downside? Many of them have a high sugar-content when really most of us are trying to cut down on sugar intake.
When it comes to Tomato and Basil Sauce, not only does it not need sugar – it actually tastes loads better without it!
This sauce is REALLY easy to make in a couple of minutes.
You will need:
- 2 tomatoes
- Small carton of passata
- Rapeseed oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- Dried basil
- Stock cube
- Black Pepper
Put all the ingredients in the pan, as follows, before putting on heat.
- Pour a glug of rapeseed oil in a saucepan.
- Crush and finely chop the garlic clove and add to oil
- Chop the tomatoes and add to pan.
- Pour on the passata.
- Add a stock cube – chicken or veg cube are fine.
- Sprinkle over with the dried basil.
- Add a few twists of ground black pepper.
- Add a pinch or two of salt.
- Put the pan on the heat and let it start to bubble.
- Turn down to a very low simmer for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour over chicken breasts or pasta for a great taste – sugar free!