A simple switch to a home made breakfast drink can give you the all-day energy of Superman!
Today everyone is looking for energy. People are cranking up the caffeine, consuming sugary energy drinks, and scoffing sweets for an energy boost.
But there is a huge problem with all those attempts to get energy. (I mention the problems of caffeine in my post on sleep). Sugar is not the bringer of sustained energy – it is the enemy!
Processed sugar has no essential nutrients and rots your teeth. It can overload the liver because it converts not only to glucose (found in every living thing) but fructose, which can be harmful to the body or turn into fat.
Refined sugar can cause liver disease, diabetes and even cancer.
So here’s a healthy way to get healthy shot of sweetness with no harmful side effects – prepare a home-made smoothie.
You can buy smoothies from a store but they sometimes contain added chemicals to prolong shelf life. Best to make your own.
My smoothies are 100% natural and fresh!
You will need:
- A blender
- A handful of raspberries (frozen raspberries are fine)
- 12 red seedless grapes
- An apple
- A ripe banana
- The juice of one orange
- Half a pint of water
- Start with the ‘base fruits’ – the raspberries. Pop these in the blender. (I call these base fruits because they will provide much of the flavour. If you prefer you can use just raspberries or just strawberries or use blubberies/blackcurrants etc)
- Then add the grapes to the blender.
- Peel the banana and break into thirds and add that.
- Core the apple but don’t peel it. Just wash it and cut into segments and add to the blender.
- Cut the orange in half and squeeze the juice into the blender. (Don’t add the orange itself as it will make the drink too ‘pulpy‘.)
- Add half a pint of tap water.
- Put the lid on the blender and give it a good whizz for a minute until everything is blended.
- Remove the lid and pour into a pint glass.
- Drink the whole pint or share half with a friend.
Do this first thing in the morning and it will continue to slowly release a steady flow of energy to you throughout the day, with no crash afterwards.
If you also avoid refined sugar throughout the day as well, the effect is even better. Link it up with a breakfast of porridge, honey and banana and you’ll have Superman’s energy levels!
I have been doing this for about a year now, two or three times a week and it never fails. Of course, you are also getting your five-a-day in one hit!
Bonus: Here’s 10 reasons why refined sugar is bad for you!